Please find below information on events and activities taking place at or with the Niles Teen Center in the next couple of weeks.
1) Job posting available for a new Teen Center Supervisor.
In the near future, Nate will be leaving the Teen Center to pursue full-time employment with his father’s tuck pointing business. If you know someone who would be interested, please have them follow the directions through the Village of Niles job posting link as soon as possible. Mark is hoping to schedule interviews by Wed. March 18.
2) “March Madness” NCAA Brackets- Deadline Thurs. 3/19- 4:00 pm
Fill out your bracket and turn in to Nate by Thursday 3/19 at 4:00 pm to enter our NCAA B-Ball Contest. Nate will track all of the winners on a large poster in the staff office. Scoring will be tracked by the winner of each game. Points will be earned by escalating rounds.(1,2,3,4,5 for championship). Make sure that your Name is on the top.
Prizes will be given to the top 3 winners in Target gift cards ($10, $15 and $25)
3) “Girl Talk” Continues on Wednesday, March 18- 4:30-5:30 pm
Please turn in the “consent form” to participate.
Girls, join Natalie and Ally in the computer room every other Wednesday from 4:30-5:30 to have girl talk. This group is open to all girls who want to discuss topics like girl drama, self-esteem, or other issues that you might find interesting. Please make sure to turn in the “consent form”.
4) Teen Speaker Series- Thursday, March 19- Sexting- 5:30-6:30 pm
Sgt. Tornabene from the Niles Police Department will offer a presentation about SEXTING including the dangers and consequences. Sexting is the sending of sexually explicit photographs or messages via cell phone. This action is becoming more prevalent and harmful to others. It is an important topic for us to discuss.
5) Rosemont Movie and Mall (Spring Break)- Deadline Thurs. March 19
Our first stop will be to the Muvico Theatre to see Insurgent, the second movie of the Divergent franchise. We will then head to the mall for dinner and shopping. Fee includes movie ticket,
transportation and supervision only. Please bring extra money for shopping and dinner.
Date: Friday, March 27 Cost: $20
Time: 4:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Min/Max: 4/8
Deadline: Thursday, March 19
6) Basketball and Swimming Day (Spring Break)- Deadline Wed. March 25
Come join the Niles Teen Center as staff takes you (using the Niles Free Bus) to the Niles Fitness Center to have fun playing basketball and swimming. You must be at the Teen Center by noon. The bus will not wait if you’re late. Make sure to bring appropriate swimwear (boys must have inside liner in shorts), beach towel, gym shoes and cash for snacks at the concession stand.
Date: Wednesday, April 1
Time: 12:00 p.m. (noon) to 5:45 p.m.
Cost: Free Min/Max: 10/25
Registration Deadline: Wednesday, March 25
7) Teen In House Movie Night- Friday, March 20 - 7:00- 9:30 pm- $3 each
Come to the Teen Center for Teen Movie Nights. Stop by or call to recommend a teen movie. All movies will be PG or PG-13. Bring a pillow or blanket and make yourself at home. All teens will be provided 1 can of soda, 2 bags of chips, and unlimited popcorn. Additional snacks and drinks will be available for purchase. Fee goes toward additional supervision. No sign-up prior to event is necessary.
Movies choices are …
1) Dracula Untold- (PG-13/92 min)- Blending elements of history and vampire mythology, this new look at the life of the legendary Dracula explores his origin, from his first foray into darkness to his ultimate evolution as a bloodsucking fiend.
2) Ouija- (PG-13/ 89 min)- While entertaining themselves with an old-fashioned Ouija board, several young friends unintentionally conjure up a sinister ancient spirit. With their lives at stake, the terrified teens must find a way to escape from their nightmarish situation.
3) Dumb and Dumber Too (PG-13/ 109 min)- Resurrecting their roles as slow-witted pals Harry and Lloyd, Jeff Daniels and Jim Carrey prove the duo has learned little in 20 years. With Harry in need of a kidney, they set off to find the long-lost child he only recently discovered he'd sired.
8) Craft with Lindsey- Thursday, March 26- 4:30-6:00 pm
Polaroid Photo Shoot
Come help Lindsey make a decorative piece to hang in the teen center and have fun with instant Polaroid’s
9) Scholarship opportunity for 8th graders & high school seniors through Niles Chamber of Commerce- Dollars for Scholars
Deadline Tuesday, March 31
All Application information is now available online at www.nileschamber.dollarsforscholars.org.
Did you know that you are likely to be eligible for a scholarship!!!
The Niles Chamber Dollars for Scholars Charter is an all-volunteer committee dedicated to our youth. This 2014-15 academic year, three $1,000 scholarships will be awarded to graduating eighth grade students entering high school and three $3,000 scholarships will be awarded to graduating high school seniors. Applications are judged on service to the community and school, response to an essay, awards and honors, school transcripts, and letters of recommendation
All students must complete a Student Profile, this is where they will complete the activities section, transcript section and essay question.
Past recipients have been from local schools such as: St. John Brebeuf, Gemini Junior High, Clarence E. Culver School, St. Juliana, Maine West High School, Niles North High School, Niles West High School, Notre Dame High School, St. Mary of the Woods, Resurrection High School, Maine East High School and Loyola Academy.
10) Behavior Reminder …
At yesterday’s spring meeting, Mark discussed a number of recent issues with Teen Center member behavior.
- To reiterate, TEENS MUST BEHAVE WHEN IN THE MALL COMMON AREAS. This means no running, yelling, horseplay, arguing or congregating in large groups. If poor behavior continues, the management of Golf Mill could terminate the lease and the Teen Center would CLOSE permanently and Mark could lose his job.
PROPER BEHAVIOR IN THE MALL is of the UTMOST IMPORTANCE. Remember this is a public PLACE OF BUSINESS, NOT A PLAYGROUND. If teens interfere with business, it is bad for the whole teen center program.
- Please remember to not touch other people without their consent. Mark and all Village of Niles employees recently had “sexual harassment training”. These same common sense rules apply to teens. If someone is making comments or touching you in a way that makes you uncomfortable, SAY NO and/or TELL AN ADULT. If inappropriate behavior were to occur, Mark can assign consequences including suspension/ expulsion from the teen center program or even a one year ban from the entire Golf Mill Mall property.
- Teens should not be spending more than 30-45 minutes out of the teen center in the mall common areas. It is ok to go into the mall for some shopping or to get something to eat, but teens should not be “hanging out” in the mall common areas. This leads to behavior problems in the mall and will mall security and the management office.
11) National Day Calendar.
As a Christmas Gift, Mark received a National Day Calendar from his brother-in-law who is a rather unconventional thinker. This calendar does not list the any national, local or state holidays. But instead it is a calendar of fun and random holidays like “Hug a Plumber Day” and “Ice Cream Day”. In the spirit of fun, Mark will be providing these “holidays” each week as random and fun facts for teens and parents to enjoy and potentially use in their social media posts.
Mon. March 16- Freedom of Information Day/ Everything you Do is Right Day
Tues. March 17- St. Patrick’s Day/ Corned Beef and Cabbage Day
Wed. March 18- Awkward Moments Day
Thurs. March 19- Let’s Laugh Day
Fri. March 20- Ravioli Day
Sat. March 21- Single Parents Day/ Common Courtesy Day
Sun. March 22- Goof Off Day
Mon. March 23- Puppy Day/ Near Miss Day
12) We are on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and GOOGLE+!!!
Please “like” the Niles Teen Center on Facebook to get program updates and see photos and video.
Also, you can follow us on Instagram @TheNilesTeenCenter- http://instagram.com/thenilesteencenter
13) Removal- If you want to be removed from this distribution list, please reply with the word “remove”, the teen center member’s name, and the email address to be removed.
Niles Teen Center Director
Niles Teen Center
373 Golf Mill Center
Niles, IL 60714