A severe winter storm is expected in our area, with the potential for snow accumulation, high winds, and severe cold beginning on Thursday, December 22. Please review the following guidelines:
- Remove cars from the streets and park in driveways as much as possible to make room for plows.
- Due to the severity of the storm, we encourage people to stay home and stay off the roads. Travel will be difficult or impossible Thursday night through Friday night.
- Please check on your neighbors during the storm.
- The Village of Niles Human Services and Family Fitness Center building (987 and 999 Civic Center Drive) is available as a warming center during regular business hours. After business hours, residents needing assistance are encouraged to contact a Niles Family Services Department crisis worker by calling (847) 581-4000 for additional support.
- Let faucets run at a slow trickle during extreme cold to prevent freezing pipes.
- Garbage and recycling containers should be placed behind the curb, off of streets and sidewalks, to avoid blocking plows or being knocked over by plows.
- Do not shovel or plow snow from your property into the street.
- For snow plowing operations, major highways and bus routes will be prioritized, with an emphasis on allowing police and fire to respond to emergencies and access hospitals.
- Cul-de-sacs and alleys are lower priority and may not be cleared until well after other streets.
- Keep fire hydrants accessible by shoveling away the snow for three feet on all sides.
- If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, call 9-1-1.
Thank you for your cooperation. You can learn more about the Village’s snow and ice control operations on the Public Works Department's Snow & Ice page.
An automated phone call was made to the public with this information. To hear this message again, call (847) 588-8080.
Human Services/Family Fitness Center Building Hours (987-999 Civic Center Drive)
Fitness Center: Friday 12/23 5:30 am-8:00 pm; Saturday 12/24 7:00am-2:00pm; Sunday 12/25 CLOSED; Monday 12/26 8:00am-9:30pm.
Senior Center: Friday 12/23 8:30am-5:00pm; Saturday 12/24 CLOSED; Sunday 12/25 CLOSED; Monday 12/26 CLOSED.