Facade Improvement Grants
- The purpose of the Façade and Streetscape Improvement Grant Program is to provide financial assistance for the design and construction of façade improvements which are in keeping with the Village Comprehensive Plan.
- The program is also intended to provide financial assistance for capital improvement projects completed in conjunction with a façade improvement project.
- This program is a public/private partnership designed to provide incentives and assistance to encourage building improvements that preserve the character of the Village and that help create a human scale and pedestrian-friendly atmosphere within the Village.
Applicants may be the owner of an eligible building(s) or the owner of a new or existing retail business. (For the purpose of this program, retail business shall include all retail uses permitted under the zoning ordinance for the applicable zoning district.) A retail tenant’s eligibility is subject to written consent of the building owner for all proposed improvements. To be eligible for consideration, a project must comply with the following requirements:
- The project must be for façade or signage renovation, restoration or improvements.
- Any capital improvement must be done in conjunction with an aesthetic improvement (see Terms below).
- The project must meet all building code and zoning ordinance requirements.
Expenses Eligible for Grant Funding
The objective of the program is to encourage exterior improvements that preserve and enhance the character of the Village consistent with the concepts identified in the Village Comprehensive Plan. As such, expenditures relating to the following types of improvements and related services are considered qualifying:
- Exterior Doors
- Streetscape Elements
- Shutters and Awnings
- Stairs, Porches, Railings
- Wall Façade Repair & Treatment
- Exterior Lighting
- Roofs visible from the Street
- Original Architectural Features repair or replacement
- Signage Repair or Replacement
- Improvements for ADA compliance
The Economic Development and Neighborhood Renewal Executive Committee, will review and evaluate all applications for grant funding. The following criteria will be considered by the Board in determining the final award amount for a particular grant request:
- Condition of building façade and signage and need for renovation.
- Extent to which proposed improvements restore, maintain or enhance the aesthetic character of the area.
- Extent to which the improvements are eligible for the program.
- Projected impact on the value of the subject property, especially with respect to the value of the particular improvement for a future occupant of the unit or building.
The terms of the program are as follows:
- Grants are issued in the form of reimbursements after eligible expenses are incurred (receipts or other acceptable proof of payment are required).
- Reimbursement is limited to a maximum of 50% of verified eligible expenses.
- Maximum grant amount to be awarded to a single project under the program is $5,000 (50% of $10,000 of verified eligible expenses).
- The program may not be used by the same applicant to renovate the same store front (tenant space) more than once.
- The current annual funding for the program is $20,000 per and is subject to adjustment in conjunction with the Village’s budget process.