Solicitor/ Canvasser & Charitable Solicitation Information
Attention Solicitors:Each individual who wants to solicit door-to-door in the Village of Niles is required to register with the Village Manager's Office. To register:
- Fill out a Solicitor / Canvasser Application and a Disclosure and Release of Information form
- Provide a valid driver’s license or State ID
- Pay a fee of $100 at the time of registration for a background check
A solicitor should not approach your residence before 9:00 a.m. or after 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday; before 9:00 a.m. or after 5:00 p.m. on Saturday; or at any time on Sundays or national holidays.
A door-to-door solicitor who does not produce, upon request, a Solicitor/Canvasser Permit with the Village of Niles seal has not been given permission to solicit in the Village of Niles. If a solicitor comes to your door without a permit, you may ask them to leave your property and call the Niles Police Department as soon as possible at (847) 588-6500.
Click here to view a sample of the Solicitor / Canvasser Permit.
Click here to view the current list of approved door-to-door solicitors.
The Village of Niles has “No Solicitors or Peddlers Invited” decals available upon request. This decal, or any similar notice indicating that you do not wish to be solicited or otherwise disturbed, should be placed on the front door or window so that it can be clearly seen when approaching the building. If the decal/notice is clearly visible, a solicitor should not distribute advertising materials, knock on the door or ring the doorbell. If this happens, you may ask them to leave your property and call the Niles Police Department as soon as possible at (847) 588-6500.
Certain groups do not need permission from the Village to solicit/canvass door-to-door and are allowed to do so between 9:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Monday through Sunday. These groups include religious organizations; educational institutions; membership, political or veterans’ organizations; and scouts. But even these groups are prohibited from distributing advertising materials, knocking on your door or ringing your doorbell if the “No Solicitors or Peddlers Invited” decal or similar notice is clearly visible. For more information, contact Cathy Spadoni at (847) 588-8005.
Charitable Solicitors (Fund Drives & Tag Days)
Every charitable organization who wishes to conduct a fund drive or tag day in the Village of Niles is required to register with the Village Manager’s office. To register:
- Fill out a Charitable Solicitation (Fund Drive/Tag Days) application
- Sign an Indemnification/Hold Harmless agreement
- Submit a Certificate of Liability Insurance showing that the organization has obtained insurance providing coverage for bodily injury liability in the amount of $1,000,000 for any individual and $1,000,000 for any occurrence. Said policy shall name the Village of Niles as an additional insured.
Once the organization has been approved, the Village Manager's office will issue a permission letter.
For more information, please refer to the Solicitation Ordinance or contact Cathy Spadoni at (847) 588-8005.