Freedom of Information Act Requests
All requests for public records shall be submitted to the Village of Niles Freedom of Information Officer via the NextRequest Online Portal. Certified copies are available on request.
NextRequest Portal - File your Request Online: https://niles.nextrequest.com/
All requests for non-exempt information must be responded to within five(5) working days after the receipt of the written request, unless additional time is required, as allowed by the Act. The requester must be notified by mail, email or phone in five (5) days if an extension is required. Requests for a commercial purpose will be responded to within twenty-one (21) working days. You must disclose whether your request is for a commercial purpose. It is a violation of the Freedom of Information Act for a person to knowingly obtain a public record for a commercial purpose without disclosing that it is for a commercial purpose, if requested to do so by the public body. 5 ILCS 140.3.1(c)).
Records Not Requiring an FOIA RequestThe following is a list of documents that do not require the submission of a FOIA request and will be granted on site to the requester:
- Village Board Agendas and Minutes (Village Clerks Office, Village Hall Online, and Village Website)
- Ordinances (Village Clerks Office, and Village Hall)
- Resolutions (Village Clerks Office and Village Hall)
- Proclamations (Village Clerks Office and Village Hall)
- Municipal Code (Online, and Village Website)
- Village Annual Budget Documents (Online and Village Website)
- Village Newsletter (Online and Village Website)
Freedom of Information ActFreedom of Information Act (FOIA) - Inspection of Public Records Procedures information:
- The Freedom of Information Act, 5 ILCS 140/1 et seq., is the Illinois statute governing the inspection of public records. This act provides for public inspection of records in the possession of the Village of Niles.