The Village of Niles permits the use of outdoor fireplaces for recreational fires but are subject to the following conditions and regulations. (Village of Niles Code of Ordinances Sec. 46-39)
- All outdoor fireplaces are to be assembled following the manufacturer's requirements and the lid and screen must be in place when in use.
- When in use, the outdoor fireplace shall be placed on a non-combustible surface and positioned away from any structure or combustible object.
- Only seasoned hard woods shall be used. Rubbish, refuse, yard waste, and the like shall not be burned.
- Fire must be maintained at a reasonable size. Smoke emitted from the outdoor fireplace shall not infringe on any neighbor's health, safety, comfort, or quiet enjoyment of their residence.
- The outdoor fireplace must be attended to by an adult at all times.
- All fires shall be immediately extinguished when finished.
- Outdoor fireplaces shall not be utilized during periods of high wind velocity.
- A portable fire extinguisher, pail of water, or connected garden hose shall be kept near the outdoor fireplace while in use.
- Any fires which are deemed to be a nuisance or a hazard by the Village of Niles Fire or Police Departments must be extinguished upon request or demand of either department.