In order to obtain a building permit, the following requirements shall be complied with:
- Submit required sets of construction drawings and specs to the Village of Niles. Each sheet shall be sealed (reproducible) by a registered architect / engineer or the plans that are bounded and indexed shall be stamped and sealed on the index sheet.
- Permit applicants should not include payment with their initial submittal. Plan review comments will be made by staff.
- Completed building, electrical, and plumbing permit applications, along with a copy of electrician's registration and plumber's and roofer's state registration.
- A $25,000 surety bond payable to the Village of Niles for all contractors which is also indicated on the building permit application, $40 license fee for sub-contractor, and $70 license fee for general contractor.
The Village of Niles has adopted international, state, and local codes, which relate to all construction and property within the Village. The summary of the codes is as follows:
- 2015 International Residential Code
- 2015 International Building Code
- 2015 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2015 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2015 International Energy Code - State Requirement
Illinois moves to 2015 IECC
- 2015 International Mechanical Code
- Niles Mechanical Code Chapter 18
- 2014 State Plumbing Code
- Niles Plumbing Code Chapter 18
- 2011 National Electrical Code
- Niles Electrical Code Chapter 18
- 2015 International Fire Code
- NFPA National Fire Codes, Current Edition
- Niles Fire Prevention Code Chapter 46
- 1997 Illinois Accessibility Code
Specific questions or interpretations related to any of these codes or village ordinances can be directed to the Community Development Department.