New Mitigation Procedures Effective November 16, 2020
Due to recent regional spikes in the positivity rate, over-burdened hospitals and recommendations from the Illinois Department of Public Health, the Village of Niles will move much of its workforce to work remotely.
- While Village Hall will continue to be open to the public with limited staff on-site, the Village encourages residents to conduct business online or over the phone as much as possible.
- The Niles Family Fitness Center will remain open, with current precautions remaining in place and virtual exercise class options.
- The Senior Center will be closed, but offering virtual programming and open by appointment only. Meals on Wheels and Wednesday morning congregate meal pick-up will continue.
- Niles Family Services will operate services by appointment, including the Niles Food Pantry. Crisis services for residents will be maintained fully.
- In accordance with the schools in Niles, the Niles Teen Center will be moving to all virtual programming beginning on Monday 11/16. All in-person events will be postponed until further notice.
Transfer Stamps Available During Limited Hours
Hours for purchasing transfer stamps at Village Hall have been reduced. Transfer stamp purchases can be made:
- Monday, Tuesday, Friday: 8:30 A.M.-12:00 P.M. and 1:00 P.M.-4:30 P.M.
- Wednesday and Thursday: 8:30 P.M.-4:30 P.M.
Village Facility Safety Measures
Village facilities have appropriate safety measures in place such as additional cleaning, social distancing markers, and plexiglass shields at counters.
Contacting the Village Remotely
The Village can provide many services to residents and businesses remotely. Residents are encouraged to contact the Village online with any inquiries, and if they need assistance with services. The Village’s online Citizen Request Tracker has 47 categories of service requests. Residents can also call the usual Village phone numbers to contact staff or receive services. Not all services will be available, and response times may be slower.
- Village Hall Administration and Finance (847) 588-8000
- Community Development (847) 588-8040
- Public Works (847) 588-7900
- Niles Senior Center (including Meals on Wheels and Lending Closet) (847) 588- 8420
- Niles Family Services (including Food Pantry and crisis team) (847) 588-8460
The Village strongly encourages residents and businesses to use online services as much as possible at www.vniles.com. Transactions such as utility bill payment can be completed through the Village’s website, via the Village Hall outdoor depository box, or by mail – Village of Niles, 1000 Civic Center Drive Niles, IL 60714.
Payments can be made online, dropped off at Village Hall with no person-to-person contact, or you can take care of your bill over the phone by calling (847) 588-8000.
Niles Police Department
The Niles Police Department is suspending the following non-emergency services until further notice: fingerprinting, child safety seat inspections, disability parking placards, ride-alongs, station tours and department presentations. While the lobby of the Police Department is open, individuals are encouraged to pay citations or file police reports online, when possible, to avoid person-to-person contact.
Crime Free Housing classes are canceled until further notice.
Garbage and Recycling Collection
As a reminder, garbage collection by Groot will continue as usual. Bulk items such as white goods or construction debris are once again being accepted. However, there is a limit of one item per household each week due to anticipated demand. Yard waste and branch collection began the week of April 1, as scheduled.
Regular recycling service continues. However, if you or someone in your household has tested positive for COVID-19, or is exhibiting symptoms related to COVID-19, please bag your recyclables and place them in your trash/refuse cart instead. This practice will help protect the employees at Groot’s Material Recovery Facility.
If there are no signs of COVID-19 in your household, please continue to place your loose recyclables in your recycle cart. Regular recycling service continues.
Textile recycling has resumed, following a temporary suspension.
Niles Free Bus
The Niles Free Bus is using its weekend schedule, with no early morning runs, 7 days a week as of Tuesday, March 24 (the first run has switched to a 9:33am start time for the 411 route, 9:43am for the 410 route and 9:30 for the 412 route).
The Village periodically uses an automated phone system and other communications tools to quickly reach residents with information. Subscribe to emergency phone calls, texts, and the Village e-newsletter by visiting www.vniles.com/alert.
The Village Board of Trustees has made an emergency declaration in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The declaration gives emergency powers to the Mayor, Board, and Village Manager to respond to emergency situations quickly without going through formal steps such as Board review at a public meeting. These powers can help with functions such as emergency purchases, and changing employment policies to ensure pay for employees, to allow employees to work remotely, etc. The March 17 online meeting packet contains the full emergency documents.